Samuel Nathan KNOWLES [Parents] was born 1 on 3 Jun 1864 in Montgomery Township, Gibson, Indiana, United States. He died on 15 Feb 1942. He was buried in Owensville, Gibson, Indiana, United States. Samuel married 2 Serrelda MARTIN on 1 Jul 1886.
Samuel worked 2 as Farmer.
BIOGRAPHY: History of Gibson County, Indiana
by Gil Stormont
SAMUEL NATHAN KNOWLES.
Among the representative farmers of Gibson county is Samuel N. Knowles, who is the owner of two hundred and eighty-seven acres of fine land in Montgomery township, Gibson county, and is carrying on the various departments of his enterprise with that discretion and energy which are sure to find their natural sequence in definite success. He has always been a hard worker, a good manager and a man of economical habits, and, being fortunately situated in a thriving farming community, it is no wonder that today he stands in the front rank of the agriculturists of this favored community.
Samuel Nathan Knowles, who has been eminently successful in the pursuit of agriculture in Montgomery township, this county, and who has attained a relative degree of prominence in his county by faithful public service, was born June 3, 1864, near Mounts Station in Montgomery township, on the southeast quarter of section 23 and is today living on this same site. He is the son of John Lowery and Patsy (Montgomery) Knowles, his father being born in Gibson county on the same section of land where Samuel A. now lives. His mother, who was a daughter of Colonel William Montgomery, was born about three miles south of Owensville.
John Lowery Knowles, who was born March 1823, was reared near where Mounts Station is now located, and was the son of James Knowles by his second wife, being the only child of that marriage, while James Knowles had a numerous family by his first wife. James Knowles came to Gibson county in the early pioneer days, when Indians were thick in this community, selected the land he desired and received his government patent, dated December 23, 1815, making over to him the southeast quarter of section 23, as above stated. On this land James Knowles and wife passed the remainder of their lives, and were laid to rest near Mounts Station, where their tombstones can still be seen, giving dates of birth and death.
John Lowery Knowles passed his boyhood on his father's farm, assisting in clearing the land and establishing comfortable surroundings, and on November 15, 1846, was united in marriage to Patsy Montgomery, who was born May 4, 1828, daughter of William Montgomery and Peggy (Stone) Montgomery. Her father was born in 1801, the second child of Joseph Montgomery, Sr., and was a very prominent man in the early history of the state. He was a colonel in the early state militia, was county commissioner from 1837 to 1842 and was a member of the state Legislature 1843-4. He was an extremely fine looking man, of excellent bearing and dignity, and was possessed of unusual shrewdness and ability. His home was near Owensville, where he carried on farming in addition to his public duties.
After his marriage in 1846, John Lowery Knowles settled down near Mounts Station on section 23, where be carried on farming the rest of his life. His death occurred October 17, 1905, in his eighty-third year. There were fifteen children born to John Lowery Knowles and wife, five of whom died in childhood and the other ten grew to maturity and made homes for themselves. Of these, Cordelia is the wife of Harvey Lucas; George is county commissioner and lives in the southern end of Montgomery township; Henry lives on section 26, near Mounts Station; Nathan lives in the northwest quarter of section 23, while Francis M. resides on the north side of the same section; Nina is the wife of Jesse Lucas and lives about a mile west of the old Knowles homestead. The mother is still living and makes her home with her children.
At the death of his father, James Knowles, John Lowery Knowles inherited from his estate eighty acres of fine farm land, to which he added from time to time, until at his death he stood possessed of seven hundred acres of fine land. He was an excellent man, full of life and energy and possessed of unusual business ability. He was of happy temperament and highly appreciated a good joke. Desiring to keep his sons by him, he instituted a cooperative system in the operation of his farming interests and thus secured the help of his sons and they shared in the benefits of their united efforts, which proved a most satisfactory arrangement all around. While not an active man in church circles, he attended public worship and the principles of his life were drawn from the highest source.
Samuel Nathan Knowles remained with his father until his marriage in 1886 to Mary Zerelda Martin, who was born in the southern part of Montgomery township, Gibson county, a daughter of William Asbury and Patience (Knowles) Martin. She was born and reared on section 27, and her father before her was born and reared on the same spot, his father being the original owner of the land. At his father's death, the mother and rest of the family removed to Illinois, while William Asbury bought the home farm and passed the remainder of his life there. He had one hundred and sixty acres in one tract and fifty-eight in another. Mrs. Knowles is one of ten children in the Martin family, five of whom are still living. Philip and John are farmers in Montgomery township; Ed lives at Lincoln, Nebraska; Julius resides at Buckskin, about nine miles east of Fort Branch, Indiana. Patience (Knowles) Martin, the mother of Mrs. Knowles, was reared just west of the Black River school in Montgomery township and was the daughter of Edward Knowles and wife.
After his marriage in 1886, Samuel Nathan Knowles continued to assist his father in his work for some four or five years, at which time he desired to possess land for himself and purchased from his father the northwest quarter of section 23, where he has since resided. This particular tract of land is what was known in the early days, as the Hullam Jones place. The land was entered by Jones, who had a grist mill there in pioneer days.
Mr. Knowles is much interested in politics and gives his stanch support to the Democratic party. In 1902 he was nominated for county treasurer by his party against F. D. S. Knowles and, though he made an excellent race, he met defeat owing to the fact that it was a Republican victory clear through. However, he made an enviable record for himself in that he reduced the nominal Republican majority of some four hundred to ninety-four, and considers that he broke the backbone of the Republican strength. The salient point in his campaigning was his advocating that the interest on all county funds should revert to the county, treasury, and this principle has since been adopted.
Mr. Knowles is of the finest type of manhood, honest and upright, widely and favorably known. Into his business of general farming and the raising of good strains of live stock, he puts good judgment and business ability and success is inevitable. Mr. and Mrs. Knowles are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, to which they give liberally of time and means. Mr. Knowles' fraternal affiliation is with the time-honored body of Free and Accepted Masons, and in this work he has attained to the council degree. Mr. Knowles is a busy man, but he finds time and opportunity to take an interest in matters pertaining to the progress and growth of the community and county, keeping abreast of the times on all questions of vital interest and being regarded by all as a leading citizen in the locality honored by his residence.
BURIAL: Samuel is interred at Antioch Cemetery.